Our History

The Groveland Missionary Church has its origins back in 1896, when Rev. Joseph Ramseyeer conducted tent meetings in the area. He returned in the fall of 1897 and pitched a tent on the property of Ben Rediger. Then, in the spring of 1898 a group of believers, with forty-one charter members organized and began to hold services. They built a small church building which was located one block west of the present site.  Rev. John C. Birkey served as the first pastor.

In 1911 the Methodist Church, which had been closed, was purchased and the congregation moved to the present location. Two side rooms and a balcony were added. The tall steeple was pulled down and the present belfry and tower were erected.

shell_image_border

The facilities were improved in 1950 by removing the old chimney and the building was raised and moved back from the road.   A complete basement with furnace room, kitchen and rest rooms were added. An addition was built on the north side which added space to the sanctuary and provided a study and a classroom. It was dedicated June 15, 1952.

Seeing the need for additional Christian Education space, a building project was undertaken and on May 16, 1971 a new wing was dedicated. It provided classrooms, a nursery, a large foyer, a library, and a remodeled study. Later, a parsonage and additional land were purchased.

The next 20 years brought changes and growth and on April 10, 1994 a ground-breaking service was held for a new a sanctuary to seat 325. A baptistry, two offices, a conference room, a classroom, choir rehearsal room and choir director’s office were a part of the new construction. It was dedicated to the Lord on June 18, 1995.

On August 12, 2001 ground was broken for a new Family Center, which was completed in 2002. It included a new entrance, a gym, four classrooms, a kitchen, a youth meeting room, and areas   for a nursery and toddler children.

Through the years the church has placed a great deal of emphasis on spreading the Gospel locally and abroad.  Today, GMC shares in the support of eighteen missionary families in ten different countries.

The Lord Jesus Christ loves His people in GMC and those outside the church in the community.  We believe He is going to continue leading us as we “grow in grace.” (2 Peter 3:18)

273325-custom